Thursday, September 3, 2009

Arrived!

I'm in London! I landed a little after noon yesterday and took a shuttle to the London Centre (now that I'm in London I think I should use their spelling) with three other girls who happened to be on my flight. When I got to the Centre I got my room assignment, Dorm 1! I have 6 roommates--Mysha, Sarah, Rachel, Meghan, Katelyn, and Sikon (I have no idea how to actually spell her name, that's just what it sounds like).
After I got to the the Centre I took a walk with some of my roommates. We walked down Embassy Road and to a beautiful cathedral. Then on the way back we walked through Hyde Park and past Kensington Palace. It was so fun to see all these things I've only ever heard about before.
After our walk we went back to the Centre for Evensong (apparently that is what they call a little devotional) and dinner. I then went to the Tube station at Notting Hill Gate to buy my oyster card so I can ride the Tube and the buses. It rained on us and I decided that it was time to invest in an umbrella!
I was so tired when I went to bed that I slept through the night which was pretty lucky because some girls were suffering from jet lag. But around 6:30 in the morning I was up and ready to go! We had an Orientation meeting to talk about the rules and logistics of the London Centre and then we were off to the British Museum and the National Gallery. It was at the National Gallery, while trying to do my first Humanities assignment, that I realized I know nothing about art. We were supposed to compare and contrast a Medieval painting to a Renaissance painting using colors, perspective, composition, scale, and other things that I didn't understand. So this will be an interesting experience.
We also got to walk around Trafalgar Square and, of course, ride the Tube! I even caught a glimpse of Big Ben and the London Eye.
Even though I'm a little homesick and I miss my family and my friends, I am looking forward to the opportunity to see another part of the world and make some new friends!

PS Pictures won't upload right now, hopefully later!

1 comment:

  1. You're there! You're alive! You're seeing things I've only dreamed of! I'm so excited for you. Keep posting, girl! I want to live vicariously through you. I love you! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete